Monday 14 November 2011

Gallows crutch

One of the first things I did when I bought Crosswind home was to fit an awning to give some shade and protection from the Queensland sun and storms. I bought it at Whitworths chandlery to suit the length of the boom but wider than the boat. Stu my neighbour (a retired sailmaker) on 'Odna' fitted some reinforcing patches and eylets so it could be fitted.  Works a treat - great shade and protection from storms, reduces the deck temperature by 10 degrees and as a bonus funnels any breeze through the cockpit.



The only issue is the headroom under it when standing on the deck is minimal. This is because the awning sits over the boom and the boom rests in the gallows only a few feet above the deck. The solution is quick and neat. Buy a tread for a house step and make a crutch to lift the boom. Make it short enough so that when sailing it can be stowed in the lazzarette. I was going to put a locating plate on both the fore and aft side where it fits into the gallows, but when I trial fitted it, it was such a solid fit I don't think it is needed.




Still needs a coat of varnish/paint but that can wait until I've finished a few other jobs. For now I have full head height under the boom with no loss of shade or protection :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff, looking sweet.

    Have you considered screwing two boards onto the crutch, one forward and one aft, at the lower end. It would then drop onto the boom gallows and grab it, preventing rocking fore and aft to some extent. I guess maybe that isn't a problem but it popped into my mind.

    Tate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tate

    Happy 30th birthday for last week, looks like you had a great time.

    Initially made it the same thickness as the gallows to fit two stainless steel plates for that purpose. However, when I did the initial fit the weight of the boom was such that it couldn't move so I have not bothered.

    ReplyDelete