Thursday 15 September 2011

Inflatable dinghy repair

The boat came with an Achilles 2.6 meter (8'8") inflatable dinghy. The bag was very faded and on opening it I found the rubbing strake had lifted in several areas and the seam underneath had opened up. The manufacturers plate showed the dinghy was only three years old and Achilles have a reputation for lasting well over 10 years so I decided to try and get it fixed.


Several people I spoke to all advised that self repairs don't last as the repair not only requires gluing but in most cases requires heat to cure it properly and the equipment to achieve this is not available to the public.  I rang several companies and they all told me that it was beyond repair, but they could sell me a new one.

I finally found Wayne at Inflatable Boat Services who said to bring it in and he would have a look. After inspection his verdict was that the dinghy had been put away wet in the tropics and had sweated until the seams finally parted, but don't worry, it was a great boat and definitely worth fixing.  When asked how he would fix it he explained that he would remove the rubbing strake; open the join; clean it and reglue it; inflate the boat; rub down the repaired joint and the reattach the rubbing strake. He quoted me under $400 and said it would take a week to complete. He also pointed out that it had an inflatable keel giving it a V bottom which was an added bonus.

Five days later I received a call to say the dinghy was ready and it would cost me $350. Well worth it considering the replacement cost is over $2,000.

If your in Brisbane and require repairs to your inflatable I can recommend Wayne at Inflatable Boat Service, phone (07) 3890 2836 or mobile 0412 799 926. Email: inflatableboats@optusnet.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment