Monday 5 September 2011

Why a Westsail 32

After an eternity of researching 'The Boat' I came up with a list of traits that in my opinion make a great cruising boat. These included:
  • Traditional looking mono hull - canoe stern, deep keel, cutter rig, proven cruising boat
  • 9-11 meters (29-36 feet) LOD, less than 1.82 meters (6 feet) draft, greater than 3 meters (10 feet) beam and a good load carrying capacity (for life's little comforts)
  • 2-3 permanent berths, 1.82 meters (6 foot) headroom, lots of storage space
  • Rigged to sail single handed
These traits were used to create a short list of four main contenders: Hans Christian 33, Westsail 32, Pacific Seacraft 31 and Baba 30

I then refined my choices, looking for things such as the availability of parts (I was not looking to buy a new or even moderately new boat), a history of long distance cruising and surviving rough weather, an active support group or owners association among others. I spoke with cruising yachtsmen (and women), boat dealers, marine surveyors and yacht maintenance services. Based on its ability to handle just about any weather, liveaboard space, owners association, availability of parts (through Worldcruiser Yacht Company) and value for money I chose the Westsail.

The search was on and after five months I found Nagaraj in Mooloolaba only an hour's drive from home. She has been let go somewhat and needed some immediate attention (see Survey tab). If I am truthful, I fell for her the minute I stepped on board and with a bit, actually a lot of elbow grease and TLC she will take me anywhere I want to go.

I have a problem with the name 'Nargaraj' as I and none of my family, friends or the Coastguard can easily pronounce the name. In researching her history I spoke with Bud Taplin from Worldcruiser Yacht Company and found her original name was 'Crosswind' which I think suits her. When I sail her home I will organise  denaming / naming ceremonies and change her to that.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you went back to the original name! A boat has a soul, at least some of them do.

    Crosswind is a great name:)

    LOVE the W32!!
    Dani

    ReplyDelete